Monday 5 March 2018

But who was Les?

I have watched nearly-all of the movie Les Miserables, and have yet to recognise the eponymous hero, or discover why he was so sad - admittedly, I may have missed the reference; but this strikes me as a serious structural defect. 

It reminds me of the days of Monty Python's Flying Circus where - at least for those of us who missed the early episodes - it was never made clear which of the gang was Monty (my guess is the tall one who did the funny walks); and we were not given even a glimpse of the Big Top...

While on the subject of errors and misrepresentations - it seems to have been all-but universal to misspell the name of that greatest of all pop-groups, The Beetles: such that all the many insect references in their work are missed or downplayed...

3 comments:

William Wildblood said...

I preferred the Beech Boys though I never understood what relevance surfing had to a group named after a tree.

Kirk Forlatt said...

And then of course there is the still-unanswered question which has driven many a Sid utterly mad: in the bank Pink Floyd, WHICH one's Pink?

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Here's Monty himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKWSNmoYCJY

I love how so many groups apparently thought the whole misspelled animal name thing was the secret to the Beatles' success. So we got the Byrds, the Monkees, the Donkees, Ratt, Kat Endmonson, Def Leppard, Snoop Dogg, Jamie Foxx, Chita Rivera, the Urban Guerillas, etc., etc.